Artreach




















My final stop on my fellowship travels saw me return to Connecticut, this time visiting Artreach in Norwich. Artreach is a peer-based project for people with psychiatric diagnoses, and uses a range of art forms to promote healing, self-expression, increased confidence and social support.

In addition to meeting with the Executive Director, Becca, to hear about the impressive array of work taking place through Artreach, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a performance by Second Step Players, Artreach's theatre troupe that performs comedy sketches to challenge stigma surrounding mental illness. The sketches performed by Second Step Players were funny and poignant. Spending time with the cast and production team, it was clear that they were really invested in the work and that they had formed a strong, supportive social network through Artreach. Participants spoke with me about how beneficial Artreach had been for them, allowing them to express themselves, process difficult and traumatic experiences, find purpose and structure and discover hidden talents.


















On my second day with Artreach I was also able to sit in on a music rehearsal in preparation for a performance the next day. There was a strong sense of collaboration and it was wonderful to see how Artreach had supported participants, some of whom had never performed before, to be able to sing, play or act to an audience. I also had the opportunity to talk to Artreach's Associate Director, Emma, about her background working in theatre, including within the domestic abuse field.

I had a lovely experience on the final two days of my fellowship, and I am so grateful to everyone at Artreach for making me so welcome and allowing me to witness the very special work they are doing.




Popular posts from this blog

Drumming Through Trauma

Fellowship Winners Announced

Theatre of the Oppressed NYC